NATIONAL ACTION PLAN ON PREVENTION AND CONTAINMENT OF ANTIMICROBIAL RESISTANCE, 2017 -2022
Resistance in Kenya is informed by the situation analysis and the ongoing reforms, as well as the emerging evidence and lessons on AMR from other parts of the world.
The National Action Plan aims to provide a coherent policy framework and priority actions to contain the emergence and spread of AMR, through the following strategic objectives:
• To improve awareness and understanding of antimicrobial resistance through effective
communication, education and training
• To strengthen the knowledge and evidence base through surveillance and research
• To reduce the incidence of infection through effective sanitation, hygiene and infection
• To optimize the use of antimicrobial medicines in human and animal health
• To develop an economic case for sustainable investment that takes into account the needs of the
country and investment into new medicines, diagnostics, tools, vaccines and other interventions.
In order for Kenya to realize these objectives, everyone needs to act with utmost urgency to avert the AMR crisis. Without such integrated action, all the hard-won gains for health will be eroded, and diseases that were easy to treat will once again kill—a dire and present threat to this generation, and generations to come.
This Action Plan outlines the key AMR roles and responsibilities, and calls on everyone to act now, to avert the threat of AMR in Kenya and the world.
Successful implementation of this Action Plan requires strong Government commitment and collaborative actions across the sectors and with our international partners. This Action Plan outlines the key AMR roles and responsibilities, and calls on everyone to act now, to avert the threat of AMR in Kenya and the world.